As a charity, volunteers are very important to our overall effort. Every volunteer is a highly valued member of our team.
We have a variety of volunteering roles, offering flexible opportunities to suit how much time you would like to give, to fit around work, family or other commitments. Volunteering is a great way to make use of skills and experience you may already have as well as developing new skills whilst contributing to the work of Headway Thames Valley.
What are the benefits for you?
- The satisfaction of knowing you are helping to support local people affected by brain injury
- Learning new skills and building confidence
- It’s something different to provide variety from day to day life
- The enjoyment of meeting new people (clients, staff and other volunteers) and being part of a team
- Training will be provided and you’ll be reimbursed for out of pocket expenses
Some volunteering activities are:
- IT- helping people affected by brain injury to learn or re-learn computer skills and to be able to use IT to improve their day to day lives.
- Cookery – being able to prepare a simple nutritious meal for yourself is an often undervalued skill – could you help someone learn/ re-learn how to do this?
- Gardening – we have a sensory garden at Brunner Hall which is enjoyed by our clients, help to maintain this and get clients involved with the garden is always welcome.
- Fundraising – fundraising volunteers are needed to help raise funds for services in your local area with the support of Zoe Lane, the Fundraising Manager at Headway Thames Valley.
Examples of fundraising volunteer opportunities include: working with local schools, rotary clubs and businesses to ask for support, sourcing raffle prizes and other donations and saying thank you on behalf of the charity. From time to time we also need help selling tickets for fundraising concerts, selling raffle tickets and marshalling at events such as the Henley Living Advent Calendar and Christmas festivals.
Perhaps you have more specialist skills and could offer your expertise for free?
If you have a few spare hours and are prepared to commit to supporting us regularly or from time to time to fit in with other commitments, then please contact us. We would love to hear from you.